List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Akademy 2008
From:       Michael Rudolph <michael.rudolph () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-03-06 9:40:45

On Monday 03 March 2008 17:22:10 Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> Are there any HCI or Usability types planning on going to Akademy
> 2008 in Belgium (August 9-15) and/or thinking about submitting a
> presentation?  If there are enough HCI presentations or workshop
> ideas, we may be able to ask for an HCI track.  However, we would
> need several people to present and help organize the event, it is too
> much work for 1 or 2 people to do on their own.
>
> If anyone is interested in a track like this, let me know so I can
> keep count of interest and appeal to the akademy organizers for an
> HCI track.
>
> Cheers,
>
> ~ Celeste

Hello Celeste,

I'm not sure if you read about my "live review" idea over on
panel-devel@ so I'll repost it here, where it belongs.

I imagined it might be a good idea to have a "live review" talk, where
basically someone with a sound understanding of
human-computer-interaction would walk the audience through various
implementations of user interfaces. Preferably there would also be
different devices at display, like an iphone or Nintendo's wii.
Understanding what makes the iphone so great and what are its
shortcomings and how this relates to KDE could really be interesting. I
guess the typical akademy goer might have heard of these devices, but
looking at them through the eyes of an usability expert might perhaps
be a quite enriching experience for most and would certainly help to
raise awareness for usability matters among developers.

Of course getting hold of devices and equipment to display them to a
larger audience poses quite a challenge. It's just an idea.

michael