List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: icons on buttons
From:       "Jos Poortvliet" <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-01-12 1:57:14

On 1/11/08, bozhan@mail.bg <bozhan@mail.bg> wrote:

> Hiiii, Happy new year and new KDE.
>
> I just want to suggest you to remove icons from bottons.
>
> I understand that most of you did't see other decktop instead KDE since 1998
> and since then Win3.11 but placing icons on buttons was droped from desktops
> since windows 95 :) and after migrating to other visual tools instead of
> Borland Delphy
>
> thanks.
>
> ps. if you don't belive me search in google for screenshots for MacOS X and
> Windows >95 !Or you don't try to compete with them??? ooh sorry then ..
> don't mind me! :)

Since when does 'doing what MS and Apple do' constitute a good reason
to do something? Sure, we can try to figure out WHY they do certain
things, and if their reasons are sound, we can follow. But I see no
compelling reason to remove icons from buttons - and though I am no
expert, I can easily see why it's actually an advantage in terms of
usability. There are projects out there which are trying to copy MS or
Apple, but we ain't one of them. We just want to create great, usable
software - copying them blindly doesn't bring much advantages that I
can think of when there are ways to do better than them.