List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Some thoughts on toolbars in KDE
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-10-24 19:37:07

Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> On 10/24/07, James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj@acm.org> wrote:
>> Here we are.
> Ok, so your point was that the widget proposed (from KOffice) doesn't
> make clear you can enter text, KCC does a better job? The fact some
> ppl don't see the text input field in editable comboboxes shouldn't be
> a reason to remove the comboboxpart and make it only an editable
> field, right? Or don't I get your point?
>
> About KPlayer, that's better than the KOffice widget?  You can't enter
> or choose a value, I think it sucks...
>
> I guess I just didn't understand you, could you elaborate a bit more?

The original proposal was for a widget like with a slider with a small
triangular button ('<' & '>' in the diagram) at each end and a box with
no buttons.  The box would be copyable and editable.  You could make
course adjustments with the slider and the buttons on the ends would
move it exactly one unit per press.

                       +-----+
          <-----|----> |  55%|
                       +-----+

This was originally proposed because developers sometimes use both a
slider and a spin box and it is a bit awkward.  Or, people might want to
use only the slider and button part.  I would like to see the slider be
a fixed length since these too long sliders are not that easy to use and
you don't need the length for resolution since you can use the step buttons.

The other image shows the volume control toolbar widget from KPlayer.
It is just a standard square icon till the mouse moves over it and then
the adjustable part pops up.  The same (similar) could be used for the
zoom list.

--
JRT