List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Name of Control Center in KDE 4
From:       Emil =?UTF-8?B?S2FybMOpbg==?= <emilkarlen () aim ! com>
Date:       2007-10-15 1:47:35

James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> While those that subscribe to the Humpty Dumpty school of semantics[1]
> can claim that "system" is the proper word to rename the Control Center
> to System Settings, there is one thing which I understand to be one of
> the cardinal rules of usability: You should not use the same word to
> mean two different things as this will result in confusion.

I agree: one word - one meaning, and also: one concept - one word, different
concepts - different words.
Isn't what's important to define a _set_ of words - for a set of concepts,
rather than just focusing on the name of one application. The name of this
single application will not be a good one unless it is consistent with the
names used at other places (by applications and so on).

My impression is that the needed glossary seem to need words for the
following concepts
  * the "scopes" seem to be
     * "system wide"/"all users" settings
     * "current user" settings
  * the different kinds of settings seem to be
     * "non-desktop environment" settings
     * "desktop environment" settings
     * "application" settings

Just pick the set of concepts to present to the user, pick names for these
that make sense _together_, and then use these names as consistently as
possible.

/Emil