List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Some thoughts on toolbars in KDE
From:       "Jos Poortvliet" <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-10-14 17:21:41

On 10/14/07, James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj@acm.org> wrote:
> Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> >> ... And it's finished!
> >> http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/7440/widgetek9.png(~605 KB)
> >> Please notice that the widget acts differently depending on where you
> >> hover/press.
> >>
> >> Well, what do you think?
> >
> > Why not just use a normal combo box instead of inventing something new?
> > (Especially as "consistency" is one of the rules of UI design...)
> >
> Because this design is more intuitive than using both a slider and a
> combo box.
>
> Actually, it isn't new since I have found (KPlayer) a slider with a
> button to move it at each end.  I think that it is actually three
> widgets as the arrow buttons are rather large.
>
> You can make this by combining existing widgets, but I thought that it
> would take up less space if it was a single widget.

Could you post a screenshot from this and the other thing from
kcolorchooser, so it is much more clear what you are talking about? I
do have kcolorchooser installed, but not kplayer, and besides, it's
always easier to have such things at hand...

hint: ksnapshot can snapshot widgets!  try "section of window", it's very neat.

tnx