List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: System settings vs Configure your computer
From:       "Jos Poortvliet" <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-10-12 11:14:43

On 10/10/07, Risto <paristo@gmail.com> wrote:

> > IAC, what is wrong with the name: "Control Center"??  Another thing to
> > avoid is to change things just for the sake of changing things.  We
> > don't want to overly confuse people that upgrade.  We don't want to make
> > the 'Vista mistake'!
>
> What i am thinkin what confuse new users is:
>
> System settings and Control Center names works well on distros like Kubuntu
> where there aint own panel for system settings. Somewhere user need to get
> set KDM or Boot settings etc.
>
> But on distros like Mandriva, there is already "System tools > "Configure Your
> Computer" and "Control center" below it. It is confusing because user dont
> know wich one to use on first time.
>
> What difference is with Yast (suse) and System settings or Control center?
> What difference is with "Configure your computer" and "Control Center"?
>
> Other is for configuring and other for controls.
>
> I would choose different name for Kcontrol than systemsettings from kubuntu.
> That should tell it is KDE config place on distros what has own config tools
> and still tell user that there is system configs.
>
> So i think problem is, how to make line between "SYSTEM" and "USER" side.
>
> And how to make line between KDE and System configs.

Now YOU have a good point. Yes, on many distro's, "system settings"
isn't gonna work. But it isn't User Settings either. Something
generic, like Control Center or Configuration Manager  would at least
kind'a work, but it's still not perfect.

Actually, you'd want different names in different situations... On
distro's like Mandriva, Fedora etc with their own config tools, you
want User Settings or something. On Kubuntu and Suse (if Yast is
integrated properly) you want System Settings.