List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Some thoughts on toolbars in KDE
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-10-06 22:01:29

Hans Chen wrote:
> Dear KDE usability list,
>
> I would like to share some of my ideas of how to improve the toolbars in
> KDE - I hope it's OK if I post them here.
> I've chosen to include everything in a PDF document, which I've attached
> to this e-mail.
>
> If you have any comments, I would be very happy to hear them. I'm
> subscribed to the list, so just reply here.
>
> Looking forward to hearing your responses.

You state that the number of toolbars is fixed by the developer.  With
apps that are fully compliant with the XML *.rc files, this is not the
case.  A user can add an additional tool bar but it is necessary to
manually edit the *.rc file.

Another issue is toolbars which the developer has designed as merged
toolbars.  I don't really like this.  Example is image viewers where I
much prefer a separate toolbar.  Withe KDE-3, the only way to convert
from a merged toolbar to a separate tool bar is to edit the *.rc file.
Would it be possible to add this to the GUI?

Another issue is toolbar widgets such as the one for magnification for
an image viewer.  Using this in a vertical toolbar causes a problem
since the toolbar is made wide enough to include the wide widget.  A
possible solution is have the widget replaced by a standard size icon
and the large window only show when you mouse over the icon.

In this same context.  I do not like having the only way to access:

	Fit to Window
	Fit to Height
	Fit to Width

using the zoom magnification window.  It is less convenient, but also
there is the issue of using a vertical toolbar to have these icons.

Problem: Zoom In & Zoom Out icon placement.  In the USA (perhaps other
countries are different) More with a slider is either up or right and
less is either down or left.  If you want these icons that way, you have
to reconfigure the toolbar when you change from horizontal to vertical.

--
JRT