List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Function/Usability review request: how to configure
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2007-08-29 21:15:10

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 August 2007, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> I'd like to get feedback on this. Does it look Usable/Accessible? Does
>> it look like it will (be able to) produce satisfactory results?
>
> my first thought was, "what is the difference between tinting in and tinting
> out?" which led me to wondering how many users would know half the terms in
> that dialog =) probably the terms "none" and "fade" would be understandable
> to enough people, but the rest seem dicey. the fact that you needed to
> explain this all in your email says it all i think =)

Context help :-). Slightly more seriously, I assume there would be a
preview to go with this (which I did not, and don't really want to, mock
up in designer). Maybe I will be convinced to drop all but one, but
without at least seeing what each looks like, I'm not ready to pick
(only) one to keep :-).

> i'd also leave out the "Configure effects for" label at the top. it just
> messes up the layout imho; make the combobox full width instead, perhaps.

Ok. Actually, boemann complained about even having a combo; from his
suggestions (and the realization that actually I really would like a
'colorize' mode) I made Version II, attached. Basically it repackages
the same controls (plus one new option) in a slimmer package. There
would be two instances of this in appropriately labeled group boxes.

(Inactive+Disabled - which I hope TT will add because the current
behavior (that apparently prefers Disabled over Inactive) is broken -
would simply apply disabled effects, and then on top of that inactive
effects, so it doesn't need a third config.)

The dropdown options are:
first box: shade, darken, lighten
second box: desaturate, fade, tint in, tint out
third box: fade, tint in, tint out

(and... I wonder if I should add 'colorize', hmm...)

> what is the second slider in Global Effect for? desaturation control? if so,
> why not have 0 on that slider == no desaturation, removing the need for the
> checkbox?

D'oh, good point :-). I incorporated this into Version II (the "none"
effect can also go away for the same reason).

> some colour previews that change while moving slider around would be nice (as
> in "give the user even a remote chance of achieving what they want to").

Right, as above I just didn't want to mock that up in designer. :-)

> i don't think this can be made overly usable as it's a really technical and
> complex set of concepts. hopefully this will not be exposed by default but be
> accessed via some not-right-in-the-user's-face place.

Well, the plan was another tab under the color scheme kcm. Otherwise
there is no way to tune it? (We could make a few predefined themes and
an 'advanced >>' button though.)

> p.s. why is this cross-posted to k-c-d?

Because I'm also looking for general/developer input? (Because I'm
expecting Maksim to complain again? ;-) )

Anyway, thanks for your input!

--
Matthew
"So long, and thanks for all the fish" -- the dolphins