List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Function/Usability review request: how to configure
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-08-29 18:21:33

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 29 August 2007, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> I'd like to get feedback on this. Does it look Usable/Accessible? Does
> it look like it will (be able to) produce satisfactory results?

my first thought was, "what is the difference between tinting in and tinting
out?" which led me to wondering how many users would know half the terms in
that dialog =) probably the terms "none" and "fade" would be understandable
to enough people, but the rest seem dicey. the fact that you needed to
explain this all in your email says it all i think =)

i'd also leave out the "Configure effects for" label at the top. it just
messes up the layout imho; make the combobox full width instead, perhaps.

what is the second slider in Global Effect for? desaturation control? if so,
why not have 0 on that slider == no desaturation, removing the need for the
checkbox?

some colour previews that change while moving slider around would be nice (as
in "give the user even a remote chance of achieving what they want to").

i don't think this can be made overly usable as it's a really technical and
complex set of concepts. hopefully this will not be exposed by default but be
accessed via some not-right-in-the-user's-face place.

p.s. why is this cross-posted to k-c-d?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se