List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Old article about GUI design and usability
From:       Jacob Beauregard <jake13jake () comcast ! net>
Date:       2007-04-24 19:56:17

I know Firefox uses blinking. However, it doesn't always get the users
attention. Perhaps the blinking area is too small, and perhaps motion could
be introduced to help it. Of course this is the KDE usability list and not
the Mozilla usability list, but we could call this is a step back and look at
things kind of discussion. I'll take this opportunity to share a bit of
knowledge.

First, this is strictly a learnability issue. Once the user knows where the
search bar appears, they can expect that behavior. However, if the person is
expecting a popup in the middle of the screen, that's another factor
preventing them from noticing the change in the GUI.

Assuming the user goes to the menus along the top of the screen to activate
the search feature, their field of vision is at the top of the window.
Therefore it would probably be easier for them to notice a change around the
top of the window. This is because most English users have a top-down
left-right when they look for something. However, the search bar is more
intrusive at the top of the GUI. Showing it at the bottom also reinforces the
web navigation concept along the top of the GUI.

Here's something that might interest everyone:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Change_blindness

This woman working for some company that contracts to the US Army or some
other military institution came to my HCI class around the beginning of the
semester. They worked on systems for marking changes in different photos (for
espionage). A computer cannot do this because it isn't a pixel by pixel
change. In fact, the perspective of the image can change, the amount of
lighting can change, the weather can change, etc. They use the flicker method
to overcome most change blindness. However, there is another factor they had
to overcome in which larger changes mask smaller changes from the user. They
used eye-tracking systems because the eyes will pick up the smaller changes
even if the user does not recognize them or is unable to mark them.

Still, I took away from this that the smaller changes are masked by larger
changes in the human mind. Having a window that pops up is a larger change
than a bar that goes along the bottom of the GUI. Also, if a user goes to the
edit menu in Firefox and clicks Find, the context menu disappearing is a
larger change than the search bar appearing. In this case, the context menu
disappearing is an intrusion to the search bar appearing.

So pretty much factors against the user learning the location of the Firefox
search bar:
Expectations (a popup in the middle)
Search bias (top-down, left-right... esp. for Ctrl+F users)
Change blindness (larger change masking smaller change, not so much for Ctrl+F
users)

The blinking will help the user recover from their change blindness, but only
after a period of time, and if the blinking covered a larger area, say the
entire bar, they'd have an easier time picking it up (larger change). Eyes
are also good at tracking motion, so if the search bar was animated, this
could also help the user.