List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Designing improved character selector
From:       "Parker Coates" <parker.coates () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-03-04 20:09:17

On 3/2/07, Daniel Laidig <d.laidig@gmx.de> wrote:
> I have removed the tabs (I also don't like them) and added the detail viewer
> as a third item in the splitter on the right. I've also added a button to
> hide/view the details. You can also drag the splitter to zero but I haven't
> discovered this feature for years. An extra button would make this more
> obvious.
>
> I like this better than the tabs.

I do too. Very nice.

> On my system I don't think that any "Alt + ####" shortcuts are available.

Huh, you're right. I would've sworn they worked on my system, but upon
checking they do not. That must be a Windows feature.

> Which kind of drag and drop do you mean exactly? That you can drag a character
> from the table and drop it to anything that accepts text? Or do you have any
> ideas going furher?

Well, I was originally only thinking of dragging characters out to
other applications, but it'd be really neat if one could drag
characters onto the table and have it switch to the appropriate
script/block and select the character. I could see that being really
handy to someone learning a CJK language. Reading something online,
but don't recognise a character? Just drag it into KCharSelect and
it'll give you a basic definition and a few different pronunciations.
Could also be helpful if you run across some unknown text and you'd
like to know what language (or at least alphabet) it's written in.

> I don't think that the difference between the app the widget is that big. Not
> every application has the character selector embedded and the app will be
> mostly launched to find some character. But also for this usage, the details
> can be helpful, e.g. if they include notes on how to use the characters.
>
> I agree that the details could be hidden by default in the widget (but can be
> displayed by pressing a button), but I don't think that differences should go
> further.

That certainly makes sense. By the way, have you talked to developers
from any of the projects that use KCharSelect as a widget? I would
imagine KWord to be one of it's biggest users. They might have some
interesting input.

Parker