List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Designing improved character selector
From:       Daniel Laidig <d.laidig () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-02-28 21:45:06

Hi,

I've been working on adding unicode information to KDE's character selector.
This includes character names, related characters and category information.
The idea was to create something more or less like gucharmap (see
http://live.gnome.org/Gucharmap).

I've been thinking about how to integrate this features in the character
selector, which includes the standalone app KCharSelect as well as the widget
used by other apps such as Konversation.

IMHO the current state of the character selector is quite unusable. You can
select a font and one of 255 tables, which contain 255 characters each.
Unless you know the exact table number it's quite hard to find the character
you are looking for. And how many of you know that the infinity sign is in
table 34? ;)

I've created a mockup how the character selector could look like. The concept
is to have a left area where you can select a script, a block or perform a
search. The script, block or search result is shown in the table on the
right. Additionally, some useful information can be displayed for the selected
character.

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/8268/kcharselectmockup1rs8.png
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2340/kcharselectmockup2td8.png
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/1921/kcharselectmockup3lh4.png

However, I don't have any experience with usability, so I'm posting this
here. :)

What do you think of this mockup? (Please note that this is a mockup and the
actual table is just a placeholder.) Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you!
Daniel