List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Text Based Computing - Part 1 (mockup inside)
From:       "Hans Chen" <hanswchen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-02-21 21:04:25

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi,

Some comments regarding your mockup. I haven't read all your text, will do
when I'm less sleepy.
This reminds me of something someone posted on the mailing list, I believe.
It listed all the actions, and had a filter so you could search for a
certain action.

I do like your mockup. This search bar, combined with Mac OS X-like menu bar
feedback (there was an example on Appeal's homepage, but it seems to be
gone. The main idea is that if you for example press the shortcut keys for
cut, you'll see the "Edit" in the menu bar flicker) will make it much easier
to learn where you can find the actions.

However, there are some problems with this search bar:
- The menu bar's height is small - I think it looks bad.
Possible solution: Show an icon instead. Once upon click, or of course
shortcut key is pressed, it'll drop down a text field. Like Mac OS X'
Spotlight.
This way, it would be harder for new users to find this function. However, I
think it looks much nicer, and it isn't impossible to find, is it?

Haven't thought of others problems right now, but I'm sure there are people
out there who's much better than me when dealing with this kind of things.
Besides I am very bad at expressing myself in English.
But thank you for reading your opinions, hope it wasn't completely a waste
of time.

Best regards,
Hans