List:       kde-usability
Subject:    media:/ --> /media
From:       David Roberts <dvdr18 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-11-30 5:59:26

The one thing I would like to get out of this thread is to have media:/
changed to /media as Kubuntu has done. As I said before, this integrates much
better with non-kde apps. From a usability perspective, a user isn't going to
understand why they can access media:/ in something like konqueror, but not
in a non-kde app such as gimp, etc.

On Thursday 30 November 2006 4:34 am, Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> This discussion is getting no where and has wandered off topic.  As
> moderator, I would like to freeze this thread, and individual arguments
> which have to do with KDE & usability (re: no conceptual "youre stupid, the
> world works *this* way") may be broken out in to smaller threads with
> different topics.
>
> Thanks
>
> ~ Celeste
> (kde-usability@kde.org moderator)
>
> On Wednesday 29 November 2006 13:14, Leo Savernik wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, 29. November 2006 06:16 schrieb Uno Engborg:
> > > How does it benefit e.g. an accountant to understand the file system
> > > hierarchy.
> >
> > How does it benefit a driver to understand the car?
> > How does it benefit a carpenter to understand the workbench?
> > How does it benefit an electrician to understand the cable reel?
> > How does it benefit a mason to understand the mixer?
> >
> > > If we can build a system where the metaphores used are close
> > > to what he expects from his experience from everyday life,
> >
> > Remember cardfile.exe? I only wonder why Microsoft decided to drop it in
> > Win3.1.
> >
> > > why should we
> > > make his life more complicated by having him learn computer related
> > > stuff that probably is of little use to him.
> >
> > Why should we make the proficient user's life more complicated by
> > artificially taking away functions enabling this user to work
> > efficiently? If you can save a you-are-your-user-user 1 second once by
> > dumbification, you take away from the proficient user a multitude
> > *repeatedly*.
> >
> > mfg
> > 	Leo

David Roberts :)