List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Localised folders in /home/user (Documents and > Desktop)
From:       Celeste Lyn Paul <celeste () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-11-29 18:34:18

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

This discussion is getting no where and has wandered off topic.  As moderator,
I would like to freeze this thread, and individual arguments which have to do
with KDE & usability (re: no conceptual "youre stupid, the world works *this*
way") may be broken out in to smaller threads with different topics.

Thanks

~ Celeste
(kde-usability@kde.org moderator)

On Wednesday 29 November 2006 13:14, Leo Savernik wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 29. November 2006 06:16 schrieb Uno Engborg:
> > How does it benefit e.g. an accountant to understand the file system
> > hierarchy.
>
> How does it benefit a driver to understand the car?
> How does it benefit a carpenter to understand the workbench?
> How does it benefit an electrician to understand the cable reel?
> How does it benefit a mason to understand the mixer?
>
> > If we can build a system where the metaphores used are close
> > to what he expects from his experience from everyday life,
>
> Remember cardfile.exe? I only wonder why Microsoft decided to drop it in
> Win3.1.
>
> > why should we
> > make his life more complicated by having him learn computer related
> > stuff that probably is of little use to him.
>
> Why should we make the proficient user's life more complicated by
> artificially taking away functions enabling this user to work efficiently?
> If you can save a you-are-your-user-user 1 second once by dumbification,
> you take away from the proficient user a multitude *repeatedly*.
>
> mfg
> 	Leo

Celeste Lyn Paul
KDE Usability Project