List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Localised folders in /home/user (Documents and Desktop)
From:       Uno Engborg <uno () webworks ! se>
Date:       2006-11-25 7:34:38

lör 2006-11-25 klockan 16:59 +1000 skrev David Roberts:

> > I have no problem with mounting them in /media as they as you say they
> > are part of one system.
> >
> > The problem is, that this is poweruser knowledge. Most users will think
> > of their USB stick as a separate entity even when it is connected. E.g.
> > they might say things like: "Please move the report to my USB stick"
> >
> > The idea of mounting disks, and making them part of one system comes
> > from the days when disk management was something done by sysadmins in
> > white coates at the data center to which normal users had no access.
> >
> > Back then, hiding physical units made it much easier on the users, as
> > they didn't need to know what physical media they were using. Nowdays,
> > when we have  user mountable/removable media, that idea sort of fall
> > apart. If the user can add and remove the media without a screw driver,
> > it should be regarded as a separate unit, at least with respect to the
> > desktop. The  fact that we need to mount it somewhere to make Unix work
> > is poweruser stuff.
> What do you suggest the current system is changed to?

I don't think the mount point should be changed. It would break too many
applications. What I think should be changed, is how it is displayed in
konqueror.

When opening a removabledevice there should be now way to get to ../
from the GUI. That way the removable device would look like a separate
entity. The same thing should apply to the Trash as it represents a
different concept than the rest of the file system.

> > Well, filnames listed in a .hidden file, in a certain directory should
> > be handled like dot files, i.e be listed only if you do ls -a.
> >
> > It could also handle localized file names. However localized names in
> > the shell will require a lot of thought to get right. I don't have all
> > the answers right now.
> Aren't these issues for the applications such as ls rather than bash itself?

I stand corrected. However, you would still have to change bash  e.g. to
handle  the match-hidden-files directive.

Regards
Uno Engborg