List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Printers and Scanners module for KDE4
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-11-07 21:48:01

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 07 November 2006 12:04, Iñaki wrote:
> El Martes, 7 de Noviembre de 2006 02:04, Aaron J. Seigo escribió:
> >  - "Remove the Printer menu because its unnecesary and dupplicated, so
> > confused."
> >
> > quite true. however, there's nothing in the mockup that says "if you
> > click on this printer you'll get options". it's also quite non-standard
> > to click on something and have a context menu show. perhaps it could be
> > made much more obvious with an actual "Actions" button or something that
> > visually says "click here for a menu". there's no reason the printers
> > have to be the usual hum-drum icons.
>
> Could you explain more what you mean with "actual Actions button"? where is
> that button or where should it be?
>
> Anyway, why not something like the proposal in Appeal?
>   http://appeal.kde.org/wiki/Content_Manager#Mockup

sth like this yes. building small little interfaces, part of which is the icon
itself, may be an interesting avenue of exploration (no guarantees of
success, just saying =)

> >  - "Put the share printer in the context menu of each printer."
> >
> > makes sense. unless one wants to share -all- their printers? doing it one
> > by one is onerous.
>
> And what about the posibility of choosing many printers like in file
> managing and press "Share printer" in the shared context menu?

combined with a select-all shortcut this should work, yes =)

> >  - Hide the Print Manager in an "Advanced" menu.
> >
> > that's probably fine, though i don't see it in the mockup?
>
> Yeah, I didn't put it. It's because I'm not sure about how it should appear
> or if it really should appear.

as a sub-menu?

> > the entries that i'd suggest keeping are:
> >
> > Enable/Disable Printer (you're right about Start/Stop imho)
> > Set as default ->
> > 	For $USERNAME
> > 	For all users on this computer
> > Configure Printer
> > Print Test Page
>
> ---
>
> > Advanced ->
> > 	Export Driver
> > 	IPP Report
> > 	----
> > 	<printer tools>
>
> Share printer
>
> > ---
> > Remove Printer
> >
> > slightly more entries, but keeps the utility more intact.
>
> I have added "Share printer". Should it appear there?

ah, yes, i missed that one indeed.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se