List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Some thoughts about "What's This Help redesing for KDE4" document
From:       Maciej Pilichowski <macias () mat ! uni ! torun ! pl>
Date:       2006-11-01 15:33:27

  * I really hope I post this mail to appropriate group ;-) *

http://www.userbrain.de/whatsthis/ideas_whatsthis_january06_v1.3.pdf

Hello,

  Btw. it is a good idea to include number for almost everything, this
way it is easier to comment.
Bullets look nice but it is harder to refer to them.

2.1.a)

  I am not sure about the titlebar placement. All other widgets ok --
they are all about geometry, look
and placement. WT does not fit there.

2.2.1)

  Is WT indicator really helpful? Please, take a breath -- indicator
alone, not clickable indicator,
but just static info "WT is available". In my opinion -- no (if you
don't have problem, you do not need
help, right, if you do, you need help, no information "help is
available, period.").
Only clickable indicator. See below.

2.2.1.a)

  In my opinion no-go. Consider Konqueror settings. I am investigating
some widget in left, bottom corner
and I get some blicking icon in the right, top. Bad design -- it is a
distraction for the user, not help.

2.2.1.b)

  My favourite (really nice looking).

2.2.1.b & c)

  Maybe there are major changes in tooltips in KDE4 but they seem
useless -- once you move mouse
the tooltip will disappear. So those clickable indicators are not
physically available.
  If the tooltip would not go away, and the indicator is clickable I
liked this idea. Or maybe
something between -- for (c). WT icon will always overlap a bit with
the widget so it is possible
to move mouse, WT icon would not go away, and user could click it.

2.2.2.

  Too complex. WT should be quick and easy way to get just brief help
about function/widget, not some
panel with settings, options, features, etc. Put yourself in position
of the beginner. WT should help,
not distract. The moment you put WT floating dialog with all those
options you need another
help for WT dialog.
  KISS.

2.2.3 and 2.2.5

  I see some misdirection here. WT should really mean what it says --
what's _this_, but not
"what all those buttons mean". I was never curious about all the stuff
I saw and as a guide/help
I never saw somebody would like this either. Always it was question
about _this_. So, let's continue...

  2.2.3 mockup screen looks great, but it is not very well integrated
with menus. It does not solve
problem with tighly packed widgets. Look at 2.2.5 screen and just
imagine showing the menu now.
Overkill. Compare it to Konqueror access keys -- it has only number
but it is not such rare to see
overlapping tooltips and completely unvisible main page.
  My suggestion -- keep only number (access keys; default: turned off)
without "more" with the
same style but -- after user
switch to WT mode (for example) fade out a bit dialog and menus, when
user move mouse over WT-able
widget it become full color (as before) or maybe plus extra border in
some contrast color (I hope
you have a picture of it already; if not -- I could make a fake
screenshot). And... that's it.
  It will work ok for mouse and keyboard. No distraction, no need of
extra information, toolbox, etc.
Another advantage -- it would change the appearence in minimal way. If
configured so (for example
without access keys tooltips -- great omission for beginners) it would
almost not change it at all.

  However it has drawback (I think of one for now) -- it is not very
well suited for vision impaired
people (animated frame instead of colored would be some kind of
solution, you know, moving dots).
Hmm, another solution -- make it bigger (the widget) something like
with taskbar in Mac OS X.

  As far as I know and I can tell from my experience teaching other
people -- the help is less needed
than simplicity. Once the dialog is well designed, it is simple,
actions are obvious no one needs help
really. But if this a case, help should not bring more problems, user
asking for help is probably
already confused enough.

my 2 cents, hope I helped a bit
have a nice day, bye