List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kde-printing/kpdf: Show document's owner in a frame
From:       RalfGesellensetter <rgx () gmx ! de>
Date:       2006-10-28 10:14:30

Am Samstag 28 Oktober 2006 11:00 schrieb Sven Burmeister:
> If one only prints one document the latter is not really an issue,
> yet if there are several print jobs, it would increase the usablity
> if the actual name of the document that is printed is shown.
> Otherwise it is e.g. impossible for the user to know which document
> to delete from the queue.

Hi Sven, this is a good point. I'd like to add another consideration:

We use KDE in school, where there are dozens of users on different
machines (some with differend versions of KDE BTW), and sometimes there
is a pile of printouts that we cannot attribute to anybody. For bigger
print jobs, there is the banner option to have one title page preceding
any print job. But with single pages, this would waste 100% of paper.

So how about a framing mode that scales the page to 90% and writes some
status information (user, machine, date, time) in the resulting frame?
Many browsers do the same with URL etc. and I think if you choose to
print more two pages on one, you have a similar frame.

Regards
Ralf