List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Usability measurement tool ?
From:       RalfGesellensetter <rgx () gmx ! de>
Date:       2006-10-23 17:15:24

Am Freitag 20 Oktober 2006 11:56 schrieb Brisset, Nicolas:
> Note that I'm new to usability. Even though I have interest and
> apparently a good feeling for it I have never taken courses nor gone
> further than reading a couple of Alertbox columns (more Web-oriented,
> though). So please pardon me if my ideas are stupid and don't
> hesitate to give feedback

Dear Nicolas,

nice thoughts of yours. It is always good to have clear figures if we
want to operationalize our aims.

However I believe that such tools will reach their natural limits as it
comes to cognitive processes that are responsible for users' decisions.
In my opinion, users on different levels must have the choice what
input device to use - everything should be feasible by just using the
mouse / keyboard ...

Now, how can you compare X mousemeters to Y keyclicks? In my eyes, it
could be more practical to have a most comprehensive and logical set of
rules that can be checked against the GUI, like:

- YES must be the right button
- NO must be the left button
- not more than 7 items per menu
- not more than 3 levels in submenus

and so on. I am new to usability myself, so I wonder what more
experienced usability people will say...

Kind regards
Ralf