List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Home" name confusing
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2006-10-17 2:26:42

David Roberts wrote:
>> The user can always do this.  It isn't necessary to have a bad default
>> to be able to do so.
> imho, a Documents directory being forced upon the user would be a worse
> default than the way it is currently.

Are you arguing that every default is something being forced on the
user.  Your argument can be reduced to your saying that you think A.
Well, I think B and can make the same meaningless statement:

"IMHO, forcing the user to dump their private data files into the $HOME
directory is a bad idea."

But this accomplishes nothing, what is needed are factual positions
defended by facts.

>> This is quite true.  Kde is a DeskTop.  Normally, it only runs on Unix
>> like OSes but it is being adapted to Windows and could be adapted to
>> other OSes.  Are there any non-Windows OSes that aren't Unix like except
>> possibly Plan9?
 >
> what point are you trying to make exactly. when i said windows != kde i meant
> that we shouldn't be trying to emulate windows, if you want something like
> that then get something like linspire or linux xp.
>
>> No mater what we have for a default, the user can always change it.  I
>> would not be in favor of any default directory setup that couldn't be
>> changed by the user.

> what if the user didn't like the ~/Documents directory and decided to remove
> it? The default document directory would then be a dead link. The good thing
> about $HOME == Documents is that "this is everything that you own, do with it
> what you please"

You open the Control Center, go to:

	System Administration -> Paths

and change it.  There is no problem, no dead link.  Under *NIX, it is
possible for two links to point to the same place.

>> However since the theory should be that the default is for the newbie
>> that doesn't yet know how to change it, we should choose a good default.

> The newbie doesn't know how to create folders, and navigate their own
> directory?

Research tends to indicate that even though they may know these things
that they are very reluctant to change defaults.

--
JRT