List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Home" name confusing
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2006-10-12 6:13:47

I don't like this either.  As I said below, it should be: "documents:/".

>>> - But in Linux when the user press "Home" icon he see:
>>> "/home/user/..."

>> The URL for the Home icon is configurable.
>
> A common user doesn't expect to have to configure the "home url".

Actually, if they want Home to be on the web, they will have to
configure it just the same as with other browsers.

However, the default is $HOME

>>> in the navigation bar, so, what is "home"? the "home" directory?
>>> my directory?...
>> The Home directory is the root of the user's private directory tree
>>  just as it is on Windows -- it is a directory that has the name of
>>  the user's account name.  "My Documents" is a subdirectory of the
>> directory "<user>".
>
> I know, but I'm speaking about new people using KDE and Linux (or
> similar systems):
>
> - Any user knows what a directory is. - Any user can understand that
> "\" in Linux is "/". - Any user can learn that there is not "C:", but
>  "/" is the beggining of files. - Any users knows by intuition that
> in ths url "/home/user", "home" is a directory. - But any newbie can
> get confused when he read "home" and remember the "/home" directory
> instead of understand that "home" is refered to "/home/user".

But, do windows users use the: "<user>" directory?  IIUC, you only go
there to find configuration files.

>>> In KDE there is a strange and useless kio called "home://" that
>>> is exactly the same as "/home", why does it exist? it just maybe
>>> to add confusion.
>> Have no idea what it is for.
>
> Neither me. I've seen no application using it.
>
>>> A solution for this issue could be a kio: "myhome://" pointing to
>>>  "/home/user", so the user doesn't need to know the complex file
>>> system of Linux.
>> This wouldn't be a good idea.  Home can already be accessed through
>>  the: "system:/" directory.
>
> I think this is a worse idea. The user shouldn't read "system" word
> when trying to do normal things with him documents.

Accessing the $HOME directory isn't doing normal things with his
documents.  Just as on Windows, you should store your documents in: [My]
Documents (unless you prefer to call it "Files" as I do) which is a
subdirectory of the "<user>" directory.  Unfortunately, there is a bug in
KDE and the Documents directory only works for KDE apps. :-(

>> I do note that: "documents:/" would be useful.
>
> I understand that nobody here like "my ***" because is the words used
>  by Microsoft in "My documents", "My music", "My MSN Space...". But
> "my" is more intuitive for any user.

This (using "My ****" has been ridiculed a lot and Microsoft will drop
it with the next release.  So, I don't think that we should start using
it now.

> What is "documents:/"? system documents?

No, it would be a short cut for the equivalent of "My Documents" except
that there is no: "my" and Linux normally uses all lower case for file &
directory names -- I question that and I use "Files" & "Documents" as
directory names on my system.

--
JRT