List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Personas - which ones to use for fairs/expos installations?
From:       Ellen Reitmayr <ellen () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-10-03 19:30:18

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

hey friedrich,

On Monday 02 October 2006 18:09, Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:

> Do you know what kind of people are typically at Linux-Info-Tag?  That will
> effect your user group and persona development because you may have more
> a-typical users who want to check out the booth, and not as many of who you
> might plan for.  Since it is a Linux Expo, I would expect the users would
> have a high interest in Linux and most likely be more skilled than the
> average person (think about the motivations for going to such an expo).

I've been there 2 years ago and I think to remember that the participants are
more technically skilled people (it's at the faculty of computer science,
no?).

> Who will be at Linux-Info-Tag?
i guess there will be
* students of CS and related
* developers
* system administrators
* local lugs
* (few) people interested in OSS but not yet users

> Who will be interested in visiting the KDE booth?
my experience (from berlin):
* kde users having specific questions how to configure certain things
* developers talking about technology
* people who do not use kde yet but interested in OSS
* admins who need information how to configure kde for their users

I think it's a good idea to have kiosk and show the effects of different
configurations. you might go for a profile that allows only using office
applications and a reduced start menu, and also removes menu items in certain
apps, e.g. konqui.

for people who do not use kde yet but are interested in OSS  - hmm, the base
functionality (word processor, mail, internet, ... >> kubuntu?!), and maybe
some "killer apps" ;-)

hope this helps...
/el

> On Monday 02 October 2006 11:33, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am preparing a KDE installation for a booth computer* and want to have
> > several prepared users accounts/setups to show different usages of KDE.
> >
> > I guess it is a good idea to reuse the personas that you identified by
> > now (is it?). Which ones are these?
> >
> > In Ellen's talk from aKademy 06 I found
> > * office worker
> > * geek
> > * recreational user
> > * student
> > * decision maker
> >
> > Any further?
> >
> > Do you have any suggestions which programs to install, which setup and
> > what kind of example data to prepare?
> >
> > * for Linux-Info-Tag Dresden at October 8th
> >
> > Regards
> > Friedrich

Ellen Reitmayr
KDE Usability Project