List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Personas - which ones to use for fairs/expos installations?
From:       Ellen Reitmayr <ellen () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-10-03 19:19:59

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 03 October 2006 00:08, Frank Osterfeld wrote:
> > Personas should be developed independently for each use.  Although we
> > have been trying to come up with a few "general" KDE users while thinking
> > about KDE4, each application is unique.
>
> What about the core components/applications most KDE desktops contain?
> Wouldn't it make sense to have common personas for e.g. kicker/plasma,
> konqueror, kmail? Of course Krita, KDevelop, Amarok have different target
> audiences, but targeting plasma to one user group and konqueror to another
> doesn't make much sense to me.

yes, that is the purpose of the target user analysis we plan to perform. we
want to gather data on usage of the common components of the kde desktop.
however, we may find that kmail is not the right application for one of the
personas, so we also need to find out what these common components are.

in order to do this, we need statistical data on our target users. so far -
and that is what i presented at akademy, we've limited the scope of the kde
target users in agreement with the strategical analysis of the marketing
working group to rather advanced PC users. sebas published the reasoning
somewhere on spreadkde.org - if you are interested, i'll ask him for the
link.

next step is to start surveys and interviews among those groups of users - so
far roughly categorised to office, recreational, academic, decision maker,
geek.

/el

--
Ellen Reitmayr