List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Personas - which ones to use for fairs/expos installations?
From:       Celeste Lyn Paul <celeste () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-10-02 16:09:17

Hi Friedrich,

Personas should be developed independently for each use.  Although we have
been trying to come up with a few "general" KDE users while thinking about
KDE4, each application is unique.

Do you know what kind of people are typically at Linux-Info-Tag?  That will
effect your user group and persona development because you may have more
a-typical users who want to check out the booth, and not as many of who you
might plan for.  Since it is a Linux Expo, I would expect the users would
have a high interest in Linux and most likely be more skilled than the
average person (think about the motivations for going to such an expo).

I am not familiar with Linux-Info-Tag, but you may see more of a work-force
there than students and recreational users, or vice versa.

As for which programs to install, what is your objective with the booth?  To
show KDE off as a workstation, home desktop, etc.?  Perhaps use the default
Kubuntu installation?

Questions to ask yourself as you come up with user groups and personas:

Who will be at Linux-Info-Tag?
Who will be interested in visiting the KDE booth?
What will they want to do with KDE?
How does one person differ from the other?
What are their needs or expectations?

You may find out that there are actually two kinds of office workers who go to
Linux-Tag and will need to create separate personas.  Conversely you may
notice that no newbie Windows users or grandmothers go to Linux-Tag and so
you will not have to consider them.

Cheers,

~ Celeste

On Monday 02 October 2006 11:33, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am preparing a KDE installation for a booth computer* and want to have
> several prepared users accounts/setups to show different usages of KDE.
>
> I guess it is a good idea to reuse the personas that you identified by now
> (is it?). Which ones are these?
>
> In Ellen's talk from aKademy 06 I found
> * office worker
> * geek
> * recreational user
> * student
> * decision maker
>
> Any further?
>
> Do you have any suggestions which programs to install, which setup and what
> kind of example data to prepare?
>
> * for Linux-Info-Tag Dresden at October 8th
>
> Regards
> Friedrich

Celeste Lyn Paul
KDE Usability Project