List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Capitalized names of the user interface parts or views
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2006-09-02 15:48:21

Thomas Zander said the following, On 2006-09-01 14:10:

> On Thursday 31 August 2006 23:13, Jarosław Staniek wrote:
>
>>Hmm, Stephan, we have "text view" versus "Text View" debate.
>>This, as well as "Property Editor" are names of a part of the app.
>>
>>What others think?
>>I remember there was already discussion about this last year or so and
>>capitalized names were kept here.
>

> I'm not sure how polish works, but in English only names get capitals. And
> all words that are separate words are split with a space (both unlike
> German)
> So if you have a box to put shoes in and you don't suddenly start to write
> Shoe Box or even shoebox to make clear its not a normal box.
>
> Sorry, but we are using American English as the strings in code and even
> if it is not clear to your eyes it is the standard. As good or as bad as
> that.

This is your theory, again. Do you want to tell all of use to change sentences
like

"Note that file previews are only available in Icon View and MultiColumn View
modes."

to lowercase?

see:
http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdebase/konqueror/viewmode.html

I can find dozens of such examples. And "Icon View" is emphasized in docbook.

@Aaron: I'll use your "Opens the selected object in <ASPECT> View mode."
version there. Other GUI strings remain untouched, as well as the
documentation, since it's all in the same style.

I have no time to discuss this for the 3rd time (5 days to docs freeze).

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek