List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: reorder windows in taskbar
From:       Esben Mose Hansen <kde () mosehansen ! dk>
Date:       2006-08-31 11:44:15

On Tuesday 29 August 2006 11:52, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Friday 25 August 2006 22:35, Iñaki wrote:
> > > I think it is a really usefull feature. The newest version of firefox
> > > has also integrated this feature for the tabs.
> >
> > And Konqueror, Konsole and more KDE apps have integrated this feature
> > since long time.   ;)
>
> Yeah, i saw some people curse over the confusing consequence of not
> clicking accurately but starting a drag instead. Or even people that
> thought that duplicating a tab would work by dragging one tab's favicon
> to another tab. And being really surprised about the results :-)
> Not only for people that are not very good with the mouse, also for the
> techies that are tired, too fast of just lazy it can cause some
> surprises.

Make the drag trigger only if long enough (as it should be in any case) and
the drag-but-meant-click disappears

> I personally think this is a feature that has too many negative effects
> while providing an advantage only to a tiny percentage of the users.

I miss it every day, though the "open tab after current tab" helps. It would
be a tremendous help for the use case where you have several pages with stuff
open, referring to them often. It's highly annoying to get an irrelevant page
wedged in between 2 such tabs,

> User research shows again and again that the only people that care about
> altering their environment (tabs, windows but also docking windows etc)
> are technical people. Which obviously is not the main target of KDE. Its
> also a tiny minority.

If they want no options, show them Gnome. KDE is about empowerment, not
guardian people against they own mistakes. Not to say we should not do the
latter where it can be done without compromising empowerment, but this is not
one of them.

If desired, we could have a "lockdown tab order" option, but I really don't
think anyone would use it.

Just my 0.02€.

--
regards, Esben