List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: reorder windows in taskbar
From:       Thomas Hutterer <Thomas.Hutterer () liwest ! at>
Date:       2006-08-29 18:11:31

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 August 2006 8:14, Scott Wheeler wrote:
>> That's in fact one of the debates within KDE usability -- "Who are we
>> targetting?"  That's been one of the difficult and unanswered questions for
>> a while.
>
> IMHO this is because we have the following types of people in the project:
>
>  - those who couldn't care who we target
>  - those who are in denial
>  - those who are ignored when clearly stating the answer
>
> "who we are targetting" was answered in the original "let's make a desktop"
> email posting by ettrich. he didn't keep that vision clear enough for others
> and since then the patients have been running the asylum, so to speak.
>
> so let me state it really, really, really clearly:
>
> KDE targets today's desktop computer users. This spans a large breadth of user
> profiles with the majority being not more than moderately technical. We
> strive to expose enough flexibility to be useful in the variety of
> professional and academic settings desktop computers are used in while making
> them accessible and simple enough for those who are not computer experts or
> enthusiasts.

So this statement would allow it to integrate some advanced features
inot KDE. Maybe behind a button 'Advanced Options' (like the appearance
configuration of the KDE Panel). Some options/features for advanced
users could be activated in this dialog.

I think it would not confuse the average user of KDE, if the moving
windows feature (or some other advanced features) is disabled by default
an configurable with an advanced options dialog. Making the moving
windows feature good visible (showing an insert arrow near the next
possible insert position, opening the group list (after about 1 second
holding the mouse still over the group button und showing insert arrows
in the group list, ...) would not lead to confusion for skilled desktop
users.

Another question: Is it possible to code such a feature as plugin or as
extension for kicker?

> 		KDE is UNIX for users.
>
> visit a public library, a non-tech corporate office or your neighbourhood
> living rooms to meet our audience.

DI Thomas Hutterer
Leopold-Figl-Straße 34/2/17
4040 Linz