List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [Kaffeine-devel] Kaffeine usability report
From:       Christophe Thommeret <hftom () free ! fr>
Date:       2006-08-21 5:33:27

Le Mercredi 12 Juillet 2006 23:49, Chi Shang Cheng a écrit  :
> Hi everyone,
>
> A few weeks ago, I decided to do a usability review of Kaffeine and finally
> the report is finished.

> Comments are welcome! Kaffeine developers: please reply either to the blog
> post or by mail.

Hi,

First, thanx for your effort.
Here are my comments:

3.1
An icon does not try to give any information to the user, it just try to be a
graphical symbol easy to identify. The bean icon is now well associated with
Kaffeine.

3.2
The banner gives usefull informations at least for someones and it adds some
eye candy colors. In addition, the start tab as a lot of free space so
keeping the banner seems good to me.

3.3
I agree. I'll try to remove it (or at least hide it).

3.4
A button does not take more place than a text label, and indicates clearly
that "something can be done" with it.

3.5
Agree. Fixed.

3.6
The numbers are there to indicate which numkey to hit to start the
corresponding action. e.g. hit keypad "1" to start playlist playback.

3.7
If such an option is there, that's surely because it's usefull :) So, no i
won't remove it ! If a user does not understand it, then he surely doesn't
need it and can safely ignore it :)

3.8
Agree. Fixed.

3.9
Agree. Fixed.

3.10
Agree. Fixed.

3.11
Well, that's true, "these commands are likely to be rarely used", but there is
no advantage not having it in menu.

3.12
Well, it's standard Qt/KDE behavior.

3.13
Don't understand what's wrong there..

3.14
Presets are device dependent, so inappropriated.

3.15
3.16
Maybe.

3.17
Wrong. Xine DOES play png and jpg.

3.18
Really minor, isn't it ? :)

3.19
Maybe.

3.20
"Unable to select multiple tracks in Audio Encoding without Control/Shift-key"
This is very common way for multi-selection. If a user don't know that, he
surely doesn't know what is a computer ...

3.21
Maybe.

3.22
Either you have to maximize the Kaffeine window or really need a new and
larger monitor :)

3.23
Wrong. A lot of divx ( or similar ) have multi audio and/or subtitles
channels. As does digital TV. Trust me, these controls are really usefull :)

3.24
What would be the advantage to remove that banner ? It's merely there to fill
a gap (due to cover pixmap height).

3.25
NEVER. I've spent hours reworking Kaffeine code to be able to do that. I LOVE
it. But you can easily hide it: just move the splitter ;-)

3.26
Agree. Fixed.

3.27
Maybe.

3.28
Wrong. (try again :)

3.29
"its limited usefulness"
I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't say that if you would get a DVB device :)

3.30
Disagree. Totally. That's a really cool feature. It's called "innovation".

3.31
It's standard KDE dialog.

3.32
It's standard KDE dialog.

3.33
It's standard KDE dialog.

3.34
That's true, but Kaffeine supports multiple engines that have different
options, so it's pretty impossible to merge the dialogs without loosing
important engine specific settings.

3.35
Agree. Fixed.

3.36