List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Ordering in toolbars
From:       Daniel Ehn <dehn.lists () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-08-19 8:56:43

Hi there!

I'm a happy KDE user (well, one could say I'm addicted to it) since a few
years and hope I can be of help in many different ways. So my first post to
the KDE mailinglists is about ordering in toolbars. I have seen it in several
applications and with the recent discussions
(http://clarencedang.blogspot.com/2006/08/order-of-zoom-actions-vote-for-your.html)
I would like to make some clearifications.

The attachement is from KPDF and the original toolbar is the upper one. From a
usability point of view KDE need to more extensively use "stereotype"-rules:

1. Increasing values on the right side. Same for ordering of buttons that are
manipulating values.
2. Increasing values above.
3. Increasing values clockwise.
4. Handles and buttons on the right side of the information they are changing.

Of course these rules are cultural. But maybe, if it's necessary, they could
be automated and controlled by KDE and not by individual applications?

Anyway, if you apply these rules on the KPDF toolbar you get the lower one.
It's as simple as that in my oppinion...

/Daniel

["kpdf_toolbar.png" (image/png)]