List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Introducing LikeBack - Quick Feedback from Beta-Testers
From:       Florian Graessle <holehan () gmx ! de>
Date:       2006-08-12 19:15:16

Sébastien Laoût wrote On 08/11/2006 11:40 PM:
>> - The use of hand gestures in icons is discouraged. You should better use
>> smileys.
>
> Why is it discouraged?

It is very difficult to find a gesture of the human hand that doesn't
mean something rude, obscene or impolite in parts of the world that we
can't know of. The "thumbs up" icon you are using e.g. means a pretty
offensive insult in Sicily. In addition to this in the Arabic culture
the left hand is for unclean tasks only. So for actions that can be
executed with both the left and the right hand you should use the right
hand in icons.

To rule out possible problems right from the start it's best to use
hands in icons only if they are holding, grasping, using something. Then
the icon becomes an action rather than a gesture that could be
misunderstood.

In the case of LikeBack I'd also go for the smileys.

Another thing is the bug icon. While its meaning is known to
technical-savvy users, the icon may mean nothing to users unfamiliar
with the term. In languages other than English the bug icon is totally
unrelated to the essence of a program error. But I have to admit that
finding a good "report program error" icon is a really tough nut to crack...

Florian