List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Introducing LikeBack - Quick Feedback from Beta-Testers
From:       Sébastien_Laoût <slaout () linux62 ! org>
Date:       2006-08-11 21:40:53

Le Vendredi 11 Août 2006 21:40, Chi Shang Cheng a écrit :
> - The user will probably comment in the same language as the UI. If the
> application is in English, there will not be a user who writes back in
> Chinese.

Ah, yes.
Elementary thing.
If the locale is in an accepted language, it should not state what are
accepted languages. It's what you mean, isn't it?

> - The use of hand gestures in icons is discouraged. You should better use
> smileys.

Why is it discouraged?

Smile icons are already used by the Microsoft Office "Send a Smile" tool, the
original inspiration of LikeBack.
So to not copy it I used those hand icons.

> - The use of colour in the feedback dialogs is unneccesary, the colour does
> not add useful information and results in a less consistent KDE interface.

The icons are, by design, small (16 pixels) and near each others.
So it's easy to click on the wrong icon, and then begin to type and click
send... without having checked that we clicked the right icon.
Now, if the dialog gets red and we tought we clicked "I like", then we think
twice and *read* the title "I do not like" and think "oh... I've clicked the
wrong icon. Let's cancel and click the right icon this time".

By experience, it's quite important the user click the right icon (Like or
Dislike) because it can be mis-interpeted by the developers.
When I read a message saying "the new tree view" I need to be sure the user
have not made mistake in clicking the Like or Dislike icon, because it change
completely what I will do for the application (abandon the new feature
because not liked at all, or continue and improve it).
Sometimes I thinked it was a dislike instead of a like, even tought the
background color was green. So the background color is not too much.

> - The placement of the accompanying text in the feedback dialogs is
> unfortunate. The visual dialog dictates that it should be in the top of the
> window, because people are used to reading from the top-left corner to the
> bottom-right one.

The LikeBack goal is to lower the barrier between the users and the
developers.
So the text is on the bottom because it's not very important to read it.
This helps users concentrate on typing theire comment, IMHO.

It can be seen as a "legend" text.

And that way the "I like..." label is logically glued with the text area.
And as it's a sort of title, the "I like..." label should be on top of the
window, thus the legend can only be put on the bottom of the window ;-)
Unless you propose a better layout.

> - The size of the button is way out of proportion, but since there are no
> KDE guidelines about this topic (proportions of UI elements), it is
> forgiveable. ;-)

lol.
With the current layout, it's the better compromise I came out with.

> Again, keep up the great work! I think it's going to be fantastic, and it
> will certainly attract more users for contributing to KDE software.

I think it will help have higher quality KDE applications.
It will help to get some statistics about usability of applications.

If users do not understand something, they will comment on that, and the
developers could make the application more obvious to use.
If developers introduce a new feature or a new way of using the software, they
could know if it was a good or a bad thing, depending on the ratio of "like"
and "dislike" of the new feature, etc.

At least it help validate some big changes on my application.
Some big changes I was not very confident with, but now that I know people do
not regret the old way of using the application, or the deleted useless
settings, I'm more confident and can go forward.