List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: konqueror's kpart system usability
From:       Celeste Lyn Paul <celeste () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-07-30 23:29:59

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 30 July 2006 18:10, Iñaki wrote:
> El Domingo, 30 de Julio de 2006 23:07, Leo Savernik escribió:
> > > Please, look at the following layouts:
> > >
> > > -  Current layout of embedded kpdf :
> > >    http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~soma/bldr/kparts/konqui_kpdf_current.jpg
> > >
> > > -  Kpdf embedded with split toolbars:
> > >
> > > http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~soma/bldr/kparts/konqui_kpdf_suggestion.jpg
> >
> > I don't see how this is less confusing to a typical user. It's still the
> > same icon and label, just different positions.
>
> Yes, exactly: different possition. The actions buttons for the Kpart should
> be INSIDE the tab so the user can know by intuition which buttons belong to
> the navigation and which ones to the embebbed application.

The suggestion mockup is exactly how the interface should work.  Why?
Context, consistency, and predictability of the interface.  The document
controls are visually grouped together with the document, and there is a
visual separation from the application controls to the document controls.

A better example is if you look at the previously linked images of the IE7
screen and the Konq mockup at linuxdevel.net.  Application controls are
separated from the document controls.

An additional perk is that the application interface doesnt change from
document to document like it currently does.  I noticed a few comments back
that someone said "As long as the user sticks to the default all additional
toolbars will be appended to the line of the main toolbar. No shifting takes
place that way.".  What distribution is that, because I'm running a fairly
virgin Kubuntu (Dapper) configuration and my Konq interface shifts for every
special file type.

Context.  Consistency.  Predictability.

Three excellent reasons for the alternate layout.

~ Celeste

--
Celeste Lyn Paul
KDE Usability Project