List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: konqueror's kpart system usability
From:       Leo Savernik <l.savernik () aon ! at>
Date:       2006-07-30 17:24:02

Am Sonntag, 30. Juli 2006 15:07 schrieb Yanis Kekatos:
> On 7/28/06, Leo Savernik <l.savernik@aon.at> wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 28. Juli 2006 16:24 schrieb Yanis Kekatos:
> > > - The second issue is what menu elements are referred to konqueror
> > > actions and what to the kpart object. Right now,it's really difficult
> > > to tell what belongs to konqueror or to the kpart. [...]
> >
> > Same issue. Why should the user need to know? Whatever action he
> > activates *certainly* has to affect the visible kpart or the container
> > but this discrimination is of no interest to the user.
>
> It's very important for the user to be able to predict what effect
> will have the action he chooses.

Yes.

> All the menu items are designed to be operated in a specific context.
> E.g. when the user views a pdf embedded in konqueror how can he know
> if the 'Help->Report Bug' item is referred to kpdf or konqueror?

He doesn't, and he needn't have to. For him, a kpdf-part embedded into
konqueror is "konqueror" to him, nothing else. Same for the khtml-part, same
for the fileview-parts, same for all other parts. Everything happening inside
a window titled "konqueror" is "konqueror".

> make the problem more obvious, right now when I view a konqueror kpdf
> embedded document there are two 'Tools' top level menu items.

Seems to be a merge error. This hasn't got to do anything with usability.

[...]
> The problem is real, it's important and complicated and need to be solved.

Duplicate entries are coding bugs (or local configuration mismatches). Their
erroneousness is such obvious that they needn't be discussed under
kde-usability. That's why xmlgui features merging. So duplicate entries have
to be properly merged, not worked around by introducing additional menu bars.

mfg
	Leo