List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: amaroK usability report
From:       Celeste Lyn Paul <celeste () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-05-01 23:12:41

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Some of my comments:

1.  'skin' or 'theme' would also be good names to use as well

3. i dont know if this is really an issue.  the bigger issue is if users
understand what collection means, if so then its more of a branding issue.

4. this is also a HIG compliance issue

7. also note that the file dialog does have shortcuts to things like home and
favorites and that may be something the developers should look at when they
redesign this dialog

12. in supplement to your dialog about vertical text: when we read, we
basically recognize patters and not individual letters.  its easier for us to
recognize vertical permutations of text (normal and upside down) however
vertical and backwards text is much more difficult.  you may want to suggest
them to use large icons with small text, it seems to do well for kontact.

14. menu organization is a big problem for applications.  you may want to
suggest some alternate organizations since adoption of the new HIG will
probably take time across the environment

16. more HIG stuff

(wow.. this is a thorough report..)

37. a lot of people are in favour of more descriptive buttons to help make
choices.  where i see a lot of potential for this, it seems as if the dialog
messages are getting more complicated because they dont have to fit in to an
OK/Cancel decision

i see you are up on your readings, you reference a lot of important papers in
your report.

its also worth noting that heuristics are often interface peculiarities that
wont be caught by a user test, however they do effect the user on some level,
usually subconciously.  sometimes a user may comment that something doesnt
look or feel right but wont be able to pick out what is bothering them.

im not sure if i would have graded some of the issues you found the way you
did, but overall it was a good review with good suggestions for the amaroK
team.  thanks for your work!

~ Celeste

--
Celeste Lyn Paul