List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Plasma
From:       "Alexandre Gravem" <vikingtux () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-04-23 19:40:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

> the important thing to keep in mind is the use case for the kmenu: it's
> for
> when one doesn't know the name of the application and wants to launch it
> by
> discovering it by function (e.g. "Internet", "Editor", etc) or to find an
> alternative to a similar application. it's also currently used for things
> like access to common desktop actions such as loging in and out.

I like this usecase, in fact it reflects exactly how I use the KMenu. And I
think it could be improved with search (by description or some metadata lik=
date of last execution - it can be pretty useless, but if the intention is
to find applications without knowing the name it would certainly be handy ;=
)
and applets for desktop actions.

I think that a window like KControl should do. In the left frame you would
have the "categories" tab (internet, multimedia, office,...) and the search
tab. The right frame then would hold the icons to the applications from the
selected category or search result.

we now have an menu which we mostly use for starting applications. if a use=
> wants to launch an app, he clicks the menu, and browses through it.

I don't think the daily used applications should, even today, be launched
from the KMenu. We can easily assign a shortcut for any item of KMenu, we
can add icons in a panel for rapid access and with plasma it will be useful
to drop icons in the desktop/workspace too. Any of these is much straight
forward then KMenu > Category > Item.