List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Discussions about amaroK not using default icons
From:       "Chi Shang Cheng" <chishangcheng () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-04-23 18:54:05

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi Christian,

I've just read your bug report and you do have a point: interface
inconsistency is a bad thing. However, there are several more things to
consider:

First of all, Amarok has more (and severe) usability issues that have to
addressed, which I will not describe in detail right now. I will be
releasing an in-depth article about this as soon as possible.
Second, the default icons in KDE (Crystal icons by Everaldo) are known to b=
oversaturated and not very pleasing for the eye. If a KDE app chooses to us=
custom icons that are better designed, and improves the usability of that
specific app, would that be wrong. Let's take this to the next level: what
if Amarok was an audio player that looked totally inconsistent with the res=
of the KDE desktop, but usability-wise was super? What is more important?
Interface consistency for the sake of interface consistency, or true
usability?
Third, the icons that are customized, are icons that are only used in the
controls of multimedia player apps, for which aren't a ton of in an ordinar=
KDE desktop. The impact of inconsistent use of icons will be minimal.
Obviously, when for instance the default CD icon was replaced by a custom
one, the impact would be much greater.
Fourth, the custom icons aren't much of an improvement in my opinion. They
are still oversaturated and do not have a clear and pleasant contrast.

Chi Shang