List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: The importance of the default configuration / Study Case: Kopete.
From:       Sébastien_Laoût <slaout () linux62 ! org>
Date:       2006-03-13 21:23:28

Le Lundi 13 Mars 2006 19:46, Danil Dotsenko a écrit :
> I don't use the tabs in Kopete chat window for the same reason - different
> chats need different levels of attention.
>
> May I suggest a compromise?
>
> How about "bunching" the chat tabs in one window, but having separate
> "blink-able" entries for each tab in the task bar? So, if I click on
> "conversation with Joe Shmoe" I get the same window, but the right tab.

I have a very bad experience with tabs that are also taskbar entries.

Have you used the latest Adobe Reader?
It's basically a MDI interface: all documents are open in sub-windows inside
the same window AND all documents also have a taskbar entry.

It's too confusing: you click the taskbar entry, and then Alt+F4 (or
right-click the taskbar entry and then Close...).
ALL the documents are closed at once.

That's very unusable.

I also suspect the way it's done is a big hack (I tested on Windows).
It looks like a big hack:
There is latency when clicking a taskbar entry: the window is shown with a
random document (in fact the last viewed one) for 0.5 second and then you see
your document...

And some glitches like that.

I don't know if it can be done properly, but I'm afraid it will look like a
big hack, and also feel like a big hack because of the mixed interaction
models that means something slightly different in that application.