List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Restricting access to "distracting" features and preferences
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-03-11 21:29:58

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 11 March 2006 04:31, Sven Burmeister wrote:
> Yesterday there was a small discussion on #kde, why business distributions
> such as Redhat's product or Novell Linux Desktop, which has become SuSE
> Linux Desktop have Gnome as default and not KDE. I am not sure whether
> there actually is a business-product sold, that has KDE as default.

there are several ranging from Xandros to Mandriva to Linspire to Red Flag
to...

more important to me than the defaults on distros (though that is also very
important) is what people actually end up using. and KDE continues to do
rather well there.

> is this actually no issue at all and there are other reasons?

yes, there are other reasons.

many people in the user community keep trying to look for rational reasons for
the decisions of Red Hat and Novell in this regard and float all kinds of
theories. in reality, it's pretty simple:

Red Hat invested early on in GNOME due to Qt1 licensing and this historical
investment is too large for them to turn back on at this point. they continue
to provide KDE, however, because the market demands it

Novell moved towards GNOME because they bought Ximian and then placed two of
GNOME's early though leaders (Miguel, Nat) in upper management. you do the
math.

this is thoroughly off topic for this list however. if you wish to continue
the conversation, please take it off list via private email =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo