List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Instant apply and explicit apply in KDE HIG
From:       Scott Wheeler <wheeler () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-03-04 16:22:33

On Friday 03 March 2006 11:15, Ellen Reitmayr wrote:
> On OpenUsability, Stefan Monov suggested to promote the usage of instant
> apply instead of explicit apply in certain situations in KDE
[...]
> I replied that while instant apply is a useful thing in certain situations,
> there undoing operations becomes problematic:

[...]

One thing that would simplify this a bit would be a timeout.  We already use
that in some cases that take a while to apply.  (Imagine this is the font
size for KDE -- it might take several seconds for each change.)  For
instance, with search lines we use a 200 millisecond timeout before
activating the new search.

> What is your opinion??
> And: Won't it be difficult for users if instant and explicit apply are
> mixed?

Yes, if there was no indication of which was which.  However, while I'm not
exactly sure what it would be, it seems relatively practical to be able to
distinguish between the two using some sort of visual indicator.

-Scott

--
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest
person to fool.