List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Network monitor and configuration applet
From:       Zak Jensen <coolguyzak () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-11-19 18:54:13

On 11/19/05, Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Am Samstag, 19. November 2005 19:42 schrieb Zak Jensen:
> > If there is something similar to a "internet connection wizard" which
> > is added to handle the defaults, then I could imagine having a
> > checkbox right under the "connection type" which says "Connect to the
> > internet on startup/login".
>
> Do not forget the "Try to re-connect every x seconds, if connection is
> lost"-checkbox. :)

Well, the wizard is supposed to be a simplified interface for
configuring the "bare bones" of a system. I consider the addition of a
reconnect option starting to bloat the interface. Most users will want
to reconnect after a certain amount of time.

I would consider assuming that they want to reconnect, then attempting
to reconnect for X seconds automatically, and failing after Y attempts
(possibly displaying an alert at that point, probably through the
connection applet).

The configuration for autoconnection should still exist within the
settings module. My concern is one of making the "wizard" too complex.