List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Network monitor and configuration applet
From:       Sébastien_Laoût <slaout () linux62 ! org>
Date:       2005-11-19 11:42:46

Hello,

Le Samedi 19 Novembre 2005 11:03, Sven Burmeister a écrit :
> I just saw this screenshot of Gnome and it seems to have a small
> panel-applet installed by default that handles wireless/wired network
> connections and can enable/disable as well as configure them.
>
> http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=506&slide=13
> http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=506&slide=15
>
> I guess that almost any computer has a network-card and/or WLAN-card, so it
> is not reasonable, why the user should have to explicitly start some
> application for WLAN (kwifi) and another service (knemo) for wired-network
> and another app for configuring it.
>
> Combining links to wirless/wired monitoring/configuration into one little
> applet would do the trick and should be enabled by default.

This is exaclty what I tought.

Also don't forget to include KPPP!
Some people still do not have access to high-speed internet connexion.
This is after all a connexion to internet.
It just differ in that it have to be connected/disconnected by hand.

On KDE, SuSE use KInternet for wired and wireless connexion.
But in my experience this have a bad behaviour: connexion/disconnexion is
given to the user, so the connexion is made only when the user ask it, and
when he log off, the connexion is stopped.
It should be connected on computer START, and never disconnected after, so the
user don't have to bother about the connexion.

From what I know, the GNOME connexions manager have a desktop-neutral library,
so all we have to do is to make a KDE GUI to it.

Best regards,
Sébastien Laoût.