List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: another idea
From:       Zak Jensen <coolguyzak () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-10-21 18:46:28

On 10/21/05, Peppe <cerebro84@vodafone.it> wrote:
> Another idea is: a switch. Applications should start with
> their default configuration, but after an amount of time
> (e.g. 1 week) the application informs the user that it's
> gonna hide some buttons he didn't use and show some new
> buttons that were menus items he often used. Then, a new
> button should appear into the menu bar (or somewhere else,
> but not in a disturbing place): a switch to pass between
> the "user mode", with the most used features, and "default
> mode", with developer choices.

It would be better for the application to tell the user how they can
customize their application, or (even better) provide a button or link
that would perform the cuztomization for them... This is one of the
many features I wanted to put into the "new ktips"... My senior
project is coming up, and I was going to implement a proof-of-concept
replacement for ktips on KDE 3.5.

I don't have the time to maintain it at present, though. So, it would
be up to someone else to port and use it... given that it goes up.
I've mentioned it every time the ktips discussion occurs... As far as
the members of this lost go, they are more interested in the
monitoring framework than the ktips improvement... which I find odd...
but that's just me.