List:       kde-usability
Subject:    another idea
From:       Peppe <cerebro84 () vodafone ! it>
Date:       2005-10-21 9:54:20

Another idea is: a switch. Applications should start with
their default configuration, but after an amount of time
(e.g. 1 week) the application informs the user that it's
gonna hide some buttons he didn't use and show some new
buttons that were menus items he often used. Then, a new
button should appear into the menu bar (or somewhere else,
but not in a disturbing place): a switch to pass between
the "user mode", with the most used features, and "default
mode", with developer choices.

El Miércoles 19 Octubre 2005 23:44, Peppe escribió:
> El Miércoles 19 Octubre 2005 11:25, Lasse Liehu escribió:
> > Olivier Goffart kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika
> > keskiviikko 19 lokakuu 2005
> >

> > What about Cleaned Up (or Simple), Windows and KDE?
> >
> > Difference with Cleaned Up and Beginner is that Cleaned
> > Up contains options that most people use and so on. It
> > can contain some options that beginners don't use, but
> > other people (average user, who have a little more
> > expertise than a beginner) use.
> >
> > I think the default should be Cleaned Up, but you can
> > switch that if you want.
> >
> > Though I think that this like user expertise levels
> > aren't very good thing if there is some other way to
> > clean up UI to UI that everyone can use powerly,
> > without user expertise levels.
>
> Well, this is what I really was thinking about.... mine
> one was just an example, I didn't want to force a profile
> based on expertise, but just to consider the concept of
> "profile"...
>
> Another thing I was thinking about is to ask the user
> what he is gonna use KDE for: a little questionnaire done
> just once that asks the user his main tasks. So
> applications could configure themselves to show the right
> buttons and keep the other functions into their menus or
> somewhere else.

Si puo' amare da morire,
ma morire d'amore no.
		-- Neri per caso, "Le ragazze"