List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kde4 proposal: user expertise
From:       Diego Moya <turingt () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-10-19 9:30:59

On 19/10/05, Celeste Lyn Paul <celeste@kde.org> wrote:
> .. more like user levels can not be defined.  there are no good ways to come
> up with a usable scale on how to grade a user's expertise in a system and
> provide them the appropriate options.  you cant have a linear system because
> not all users are at the same level of the same things as other users.

Actually this is a very active research field in the Human-Computer
Interface area. The long answer would be - there are some non-linear
logical-based models trying to capture user capabilities, preferences
and intentions, but they serve to limited purposes and they're nowhere
near to reach industrial quality. (Google for "user models" to have an
overall view of this research).

Best design practices don't rely on these user models but on accurate
modelling of the actual task supported by the software. I.e. don't try
to model the whole user knowledge, keep track only of the knowledge
required to solve a particular problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User-centered_design

> > > If you want the full answer, search the ML archives.
> >
> > this is exactly one of the reasons why, not the search but telling some to
> > shut up
>
> its simply reducing noise by not having the same quarterly debate over and
> over again

Amen to that. Shouldn't be there a kde-usability-FAQ? The "user
levels" idea should be the first at the top of the list since it
reappears every other month. Is there a wiki associated to this list
where a draft for a FAQ can be arranged? I would add myself some items
to it.