List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Proposal for KDE 4
From:       Sébastien_Laoût <slaout () linux62 ! org>
Date:       2005-09-27 14:34:45

Well, I just see that page:
http://browserbookapp.sourceforge.net/topaz/

That's a somewhat similar concept to the Create/Communicate menus.
It's in thinking for GNOME 3.

I like it too.
They managed to not have a "Configure" menu but a "Manage" menu.
The Manage menu is to manage the computer: close session, shutdown computer...
and a sub-menu "Configure".
That way, the configuration is not a key point we use 3 times a day but it's
also not hidden nor removed!

They also separate Create and Open.
That's a good point. "Create" basicaly is an application launcher, openning
apps with blank document (and without the user having to remember apps
codenames) and "Open" play the role of a filemanager AND open dialog,
allowing to browse in tags, select a file and open it.

I also like the Background Activities "extender".

The question is, how much "main menus" are we ready to make?
Open/Create/Communicate/Manage/BackgroundActivites
That's enough, I think.

Well... I advise you to read the page.
We have "déjà vu" things but there are also good refinements and polishements
to our model.

Best regards,
Sébastien Laoût.