List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kde-usability Digest, Vol 30, Issue 16
From:       fourhead <fourhead () geekspot ! de>
Date:       2005-09-26 10:43:53

> Sorry, I will try to clarify. What I'm basically proposing is a helper
> applet that helps you *find* the relevent configuration information.
>
> You know the little "?" button on the title bar of most config windows? You
> click it and it puts a ? next to your mouse, then you click somewhere and
> it brings up a tooltip. If we had a button on the kicker, with a spanner on
> it that did a *similar* thing, but with a context menu with entries that
> link you to all the configuration dialogues that could possibly change the
> appearance/behaviour/position of that widget.
>
> That way, you can always go to the same place when you want to comfigure
> anything, but rather than being presented with a text based tree view, you
> get a visual "point and click" based search that will narrow it down to 10
> configuration dialogues that are sorted by relevance. (it would tie in
> quite nicely with the "create, communicate, configure" menus in that
> mock-up that was posted to the list on friday)

I know the mockup you're talking about, I've seen it on kde-artists.org, and I
also added a few comments on this one. I REALLY like the idea of it, it just
has to be a little refined I think.

> I disagree with you on this. The current system of having lots of specific
> entries in the settings menu makes it easy to pinpoint what you need. There
> is a *lot* of configuration that can be done in a KDE app, so having just
> one configuration menu with all the "needed" topics would be an information
> overload, and "advanced" buttons are unpredictable because the user doesn't
> know what's going to be hidden behind them (I think it's the general
> concensus on this list that they're a usability disaster)

I can tell from my experience that the layout of KDE today is a mess, and in
many ways not user friendly. I have to friends (well, my girlfriend, and a
friend actually) that I've set up KDE for. They both like it, and they both
can do their work with it. When they call me for help, then it's not because
something does not work, it's always because they just don't find something.
My gf for example wanted to know how to block popup windows in Konqueror. Do
you know where you can config that? It's in Settings->Configure
Konqueror->Java&JavaScript->JvaScript->Global JavaScript Settings->Open new
windows". This is just rediculous! In Safari (she owns an iBook with
MacOS+KDE on it), she just has to click "Safari->Block popups". Thats it -
two mouse clicks, and you have the same effect. I so often see
"unexperienced" people that they can't do something, although KDE CAN do it,
simply because they just don't find the function they need!

So, I think, if KDE wants to be user friendly, it has to be made A LOT simpler
and easier like it is now. Sorry, many programs are a usability nightmare.
Compare Beagle, the Gnome search tool, with Kat, the KDE search tool for
example. Kat's UI is just a mess, completely in my way and of no use at all,
sorry to say that.

Well, back to your idea. I think it could be useful, it would give quick
access to many config options. But on the other hand - who constantly wants
to change the color of the window bar? I'm afraid it would just add more
entries to the already-so-bloated KDE context menus. Perhaps you could make a
quick&dirty mockup?

Tom