List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Finding where to go to configure stuff
From:       David Laban <alsuren () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-09-24 12:19:36

I was playing about with the GIMP, and I thought of a really cool way to make
it easier to configure stuff on KDE. It takes its inspiration from the
screenshot tool, and it would probably be implemented in DCOP or something.

Here's the behaviour then:

1) Click on the "configure" button on the kicker

2) The mouse cursor turns into a crosshairs (like when you're taking a screen
shot)

3) You click somewhere on the screen (in this example I'll use the toolbar on
konq)

4) The configure applet finds out the name of the widget that's at the screen
location you just clicked on (I heard this is a planned feature in DCOP), and
what program it belongs to

5) It looks up both of these pieces of info in a database and brings up a menu
that looks like a right-click menu with all the configuration info it can
find (in this case it would be "configure toolbars" in the konq menu, and the
contents of the "settings" menu for konq. It would also have entried for
"colours", "icons" "style"

If we took another example....say you clicked on the title bar

It would bring up a menu that included the contents of "configure window
behaviour" and also the contents of konq's settings menu. It would also
include the "colours" control centre module, with the "active title bar"
colour selected

If we had something like this, then we wouldn't have to venture into the
control centre and get lost in the tree structure when we want to configure
something (I still haven't worked out how to get the macOS style menu bar or
change the background image in konqueror file browser. If someone could tell
me, that would be nice :P )