List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Tip of the day
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-09-14 13:22:52

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 7 September 2005 10:06, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> I am curious if anyone knows of a study showing if the tip of the day
> dialog box is of any real value.

I'll just bring up a reply I posted to an earlier similar question.

Please look at the IntelliJ IDEA application that has some really good
ideas.

* it makes an effort to repeat the same tip at regular intervals (think
every 3th time) for a number or times so you can learn it better.
* it only shows tips on features you have not actively started using.  We
could do tracking which kaction is executed and not provide tips on those
that have seen usage, for example. (Since there is nothing more silly
then a user mentally answering 'yes I do' on the 'did you know?'
question :)
* the tips are shown on long-showing dialogs.  Progress dialogs,
specifically.  The dialog starts normally and when the dialog is on for a
couple of seconds and determines it will be showing progress for some
time more, it expands and shows the tip.  With a checkbox 'keep this tip
showing after the progress dialog closes'.
* No 'don't show again' checkbox
* No tip at startup.

--
Thomas Zander