List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Left Handed
From:       Fred Schaettgen <kde.sch () ttgen ! net>
Date:       2005-09-05 13:14:50

Hi Gary,

Being a converted ex-lefty and no usability expert I am probably just unable
to comprehend the troubles of heavily left handed people. But are you sure
that swapping this and that will actually make things any better for you or
other hard-left people?

You mentioned a a left handed ruler - isn't the only reason for putting the
numbers on the other side to make it easier to *hold* it in the left hand?
It's the same for scissors, knifes and what else. But the "left handed" clock
which is offered on the web page you mentioned is - correct me if I'm wrong -
just a stupid joke my eyes. You don't have to hold it in your hand.

It's the same for most parts of a GUI. What goes left and what goes right is
just a convention. I can't think of a reason why left handed people should
have a different idea of the order of the OK/Cancel button. You have to press
either one in no particular order and you can do it with the left hand if you
prefer.

I don't think that it does any good to left handed people, if we try to create
a mirror-inverted microcosmos in KDE. If you set your KDE up yourself the
other way round, then eventually you will be better with this layout and
worse with the conventional layout. So it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy
that it's better for lefties to swap everything. But I doubt that you will
ever become more efficient with such a setup,

Could it be that either you either have just been influenced by other
applications which put those buttons somewhere else or that you tend to mix
up left and right sometimes? This seems to happen to a lot of people from
time to time, but it rarely becomes a problem. Maybe it would be marginally
better to put widgets that represent two converse choices (like OK vs.
Cancel) vertically instead of horizontally. But I don't expect that it will
make a big difference for most people, and the cost in terms of wasted screen
space is just too big.

Fred

On Sunday, 4. September 2005 13:53, Gerry Gavigan wrote:
> again thank you for considering this seriously - I don't think I 've
> described why I've contacted you very well but I wonder if I might point
> you to www.anythinglefthanded.co.uk - for the content not the sales
>
> While I am aware that I am talking to experts I wonder if you might give me
> a little more mileage on this before dismissing?
>  For exampleon the tabs on konqueror - perhaps if you were to consider a
> left-handed ruler (they do exist - I own one) it might inofrm why the red
> and green increase/decrease tabs encourage me to do things the wrong way
> around - they're so useful they hinder left handers

Fred Schaettgen
kde.sch@ttgen.net